1 cup sliced Galileo Salame, shredded ¼ inch thick
2 cups ricotta cheese
1/4 cup whole milk
1 cup parmesan, chopped/grated
1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
6 large basil leaves, chopped
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup minced garlic
Salt & pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, very cold, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
4 to 8 tbsp. ice water
- Cut the sticks of butter into ½ inch cubes and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Combine flour, salt and sugar in a food processor; pulse to mix. Add butter and pulse 6 to 8 times until mixture is a coarse meal, with pea size pieces of butter. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until mixture just begins to clump together.
- Remove dough from machine and place in a mound on a clean surface. Gently shape into 1 disc. Knead the dough just enough to form the discs, do not over-knead. You should be able to see little bits of butter in the dough. Sprinkle a little flour around the discs. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Remove one disc from the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes in order to soften just enough to make rolling out a bit easier. Roll out about 1⁄8& inch thick. As you roll out the dough, check if the dough is sticking to the surface below. If necessary, add a few sprinkles of flour under the dough to keep the dough from sticking. Cut 4-inch circles from the dough.
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until wilted (1-2 minutes).
- Add tomato and sauté 1 additional minute.
- Remove from heat. Add Galileo Salame, cheeses, basil, salt & pepper and olive oil to form filling.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Add 2 tablespoons filling to each piece of round dough.
- Maneuver the filling onto half of the dough, moisten the edges of each round with water, and then fold over the empty half of dough to enclose the filling. Press the edges closed.
- Bake the calzones on a cooking sheet or baking stone for 25-35 minutes.
- Let cool for 1 minute before serving.